Wednesday, September 5

Catching Up

Hi. I am a slacker, I know. It's been awhile. What have I been doing you ask? I don't know, I really don't know. But sitting down and editing photos and writing doesn't seem to be fitting into that schedule and truly, I miss it.  

So here I am with a family update. Nothing special, just trying to catch up and then I am going to make a better effort to take time out for me to write our life down because I need to have something for me, right? And this blog is my thing, my creative outlet, something to do for myself. 

So, first thing is first. We survived Isaac. 
And looking back, our 24 hours without power was really wonderful. We had the windows open, the breeze was cool, the kids played and played and played and we ate and played and watched the storm. We were headed out in the morning to try to find some ice for our food when the power came back. Perfect.
George and I caught up on some checkers and cards and he was reminded of just how competitive I am (bad trait, bad). Everyone slept wonderful without power and overall it was just peaceful, minus the deep hum of allllll of the neighbors' generators. We spotted someone across the lake with candles lit but other than that we might be the only generator-less family in the hood. And that is all right with me. 

Our clean up crew and Elsa in her favorite jersey (??).
Jude is a new boy now that he can walk. No more babies over here and oh, it feels so nice. His new favorite hang outs are on Elsa's bed, in one of our empty cabinets (because this house is a hoarders paradise, storage galore over here), on top of anything he can climb on, in the mix of whatever his sisters are doing, or anywhere someone has food. 
This kid will eat anything as long as you are eating it but the moment you set him in his high chair and feed it to him with a spoon or cut it up nicely for him, its over. He might take two to three bits and he's done. So he grazes and thats okay with us. Remember when Elsa did the same?

He now gives the best kisses. He leans in, bottom lip out and gives a full on muah too. Its the best. I live for them. And he has learned to growl. 

Playing outside with him is such a joy now that I don't have to worry about his poor knees on the cement. He is busy in everything and playing, just playing. It is so nice to have my arms free again.
His first walk around the house. 
Other major happenings, Nyah and Elsa are now taking showers. Not a big deal, I know but up until this point all three of them have been taking a bath, together. And yeah, they don't fit, and Nyah is old so in the shower they went and it is so much easier, and quicker, and Elsa especially loves the shower. She giggles the entire time. Why didn't we make the switch sooner?

Nyah still wakes up excited for school every morning, though has started taking her lunch. Beefy taco melt just wasn't her thing and I can't really blame her. 
I finally broke down and emailed her teacher, just to check in on how she is doing. I am so proud of myself for waiting so long. Kindergarten is so impersonal. Nyah gets out of the car in the morning and gets back in the afternoon and what goes on in between is a mystery. From what I can gather, they play and read stories and thats about it. 

And Elsa is still running things. She asked Nyah today when she was not accepting no for an answer, "Who's the boss, Nyah?" 

Yeah, Elsa. Handle it. 

She wills start at the Montessori school Nyah went to in January. She is just so aware, so wise, she would be fine in school now but I am enjoying these long days her. 

"I do myself!" is her favorite phrase lately. And she does do it herself. Cleaning, dressing herself and changing outfits five times a day, cooking, dragging a chair across the house to reach her light switch. Just watch out, she has it under control.
So thats it. Thanks for checking in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...