Friday, September 14

Our Favorite Snack

I am not a food photographer or anything close but this snack is too good not to share, so I will give this a try.

Popcorn is absolutely our favorite family snack. Every member of our family loves it, including Jude, and we eat it. A lot.

Right here, right now, I am going to share my super secret family recipe for popcorn with you. And it will no longer be a secret after this post but this is one of the few things my mother taught me to cook. And her dad taught her. So there you have, a family recipe. 

There isn't much to this recipe, really, because popping corn isn't rocket science, but I wanted to share it with you because if you are still making the microwaveable bag stuff, well you just aren't living.

Ingredients:

  • Popping corn
  • Vegetable oil (Vegetable oil or any oil with a high smoke point is so important here. This oil is going to heat way up so use it, its science, yo.)

To start, coat bottom of big stock pot with vegetable oil -1/4 Cup, maybe? Depends on pot size. Sorry, no exact amounts here.

And now here comes the family secret part. Place one or two kernels of corn in the oil. Turn heat up to high and wait for those two little kernels to pop. There is no reason behind this step. Just do. Because my mom said so.
Once the two kernels have popped up, add enough kernels to already popped kernels and oil to, once again, cover the bottom of the pot. 
Then, put the lid on and listen to the pop and inhale the delicious smell. So good.

Once the popping slows down, turn the heat off. Leave on burner a few more second until popping is to a minimum and then pour into large bowl.
Now the fun part, the toppings. The possibilities are endless. We drizzle ours with a little extra virgin olive oil, add some salt and enjoy. Best served with good movie and hungry kids, or course.
I have to send a snack for Nyah's class later this month and you better believe I will be popping up a big batch of this for those little sweeties. Cheap, tasty, healthy, and easy.

Hope you give it a try.


Side note:
(Yes, I love popcorn so much that I have I have to include a side note.)

I once had the best popcorn bowl ever, given to me by my old college roommate/cousin/bff Jami, but we lost it in our move to LA and I am sick about it, still. 

We gave my bother and sis in law a wooden bowl for a wedding gift and they turned it into their popcorn bowl! Definitely one of my prouder moments in life.

Ok, I'm done. Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...