Wednesday, April 25

Road Trip

The kids and I decided make a mad dash to Indiana last week after receiving the sudden news of a death in the family. After just a day of planning and packing the four of us loaded up and embarked on the 800 mile journey to the heartland, on a mission to hug our Grandmother. 


My phone blew up with text messages about how crazy I was, and why, and let us help. But somehow I just knew everything would be okay, and that this would be added to the fun adventures I've had with my kids. And as it happens, everything was just fine.


Our trip to Indiana was easy, no crying, no fits thrown, and only one accident by Elsa who decided to inform me that she had to go when she actually had to go and left me no time to speed to the nearest interstate exit. 
Though we weren't in Indiana for the best of reasons, we actually were. To pay respects, to show our love and support. So behold, all of my grandmother's grandchildren (minus a few spouses), and few of her great grandchildren who all rallied around her in her time of need. What an accomplishment.
So we enjoyed every single bit of cousins, family, and Indiana in the spring. 
And then we had to drive home, something I wouldn't allow myself to think about until that morning arrived. And with my concern that the girls didn't drink enough water on the trip there, I packed cute little plastic water bottles for them, something they never have. And oh did they love them, as in we had to stop for a bathroom break every hour love them. 


But fourteen hours later, we made it. To our home, a place I hadn't realize I was so fond of and really so attached to. It was such a breath of fresh air to walk into our little spot in this world. And to see George, who's relaxing weekend ended the moment we stepped through the door, much to his delight.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...